Deja Vu

We have all experienced deja vu at some time in our lives. Mostly it passes without comment, an unsettling feeling that we have already seen or remembered something familiar from our past that we experience in the present. Consider if you will the story of Simon Addams, a man of ledgers who finds his present invaded by curiously unrelated memories and encounters. He is about to find that deja vu may well have a purpose, and that some things lost are not necessarily lost forever...


Wednesday

9.16am

Amaryst
Hey Simon. Know what time it is?

Simon
Oh Hell. Sorry Amaryst. I've slept in.


Amaryst

Better get your skates on. Hanson's on the warpath and we need figures stat.

Simon
What's up now?

Amaryst
A shortfall in the June balance. Accounts Receivable is down. Looks like an error but we need everyone in to find it.

Simon
What's the discrepancy?

Amaryst
Almost 8K.

Simon

If its that much it'll probably have something to do with the invoices we forwarded to Millerand Steel.

Simon

Just give me twenty and I'll be in.


11.00am

Simon
Well that was a mess.

Amaryst
It was but we worked it out, as usual.

Simon
Yes. What would they do without us. :)

Simon
Sorry about getting in late.

Amaryst
It did surprise me. Its not like you to sleep in. Bad night?

Simon
Restless more like. I've been having the weirdest sensations of deja vu these last few days.

Amaryst
That's definitely not you. What have you been feeling?

Simon
Its hard to grasp really. Things like news stories I'm sure I've seen before, conversations that stir up strong memories, and on the drive home I saw this guy trying to fix his car.

Amaryst
What was so strange about that?

Simon
It felt so familiar. I almost wanted to stop and ask him if he'd broken down there before.

Amaryst
You don't want to be doing that. Too many crazies out there.

Simon

I know, but its weird don't you think?

Amaryst
Have you had feelings like them before?

Simon

Never. Its what makes it so unsettling.

Amaryst
It might be interesting to log what you feel. There might be a pattern you can work out.

Simon
What do you mean?

Amaryst
Well. If the feelings of deja vu relate to recurring contacts or interactions you'll be able to see that if you log them.

Amaryst
All grouped together you might be able to find that they relate to routine stuff.

Amaryst
There could be a pattern to the sensations that might explain them all.

Simon
Its actually a good idea. I'll keep a diary and see what happens.

Amaryst
There you go. More than just a pretty face, eh?

Simon

Definitely.

Simon
Fancy lunch?

Amaryst

See you at 12.00.

Amaryst
In the foyer?

Simon
Sounds great.


Thursday


8.11am

Amaryst
Hey Simon. Do you have the petty cash receipts?

Simon
Yeah. Had to take them home. Somebody's been withdrawing from the petty cash and not noting the expenditure.

Simon
Had to go through the receipts and identify who's been doing it.

Amaryst
Find out?

Simon
Pretty sure its Hilda. She buys most of the stationery for the fourth floor doesn't she?

Amaryst
She does.

Amaryst
Also notorious for not keeping the receipts. I think Dennis has had words with her before about it.

Simon
Sounds like another mystery solved then.

Amaryst
You going to tell her?

Simon
No. Its another job for Dennis. Its his department.

Simon
The files will come back with me this morning.

Amaryst
I hope you don't mind me asking but have you had any more of those strange feelings?

Simon
No. Nothing to log but it does feel different at the moment.

Amaryst
How?

Simon
Hard to explain but for a short time yesterday I felt like every time I turned around there was something familiar happening.

Simon
Familiar enough that it would strike me quite forcibly.

Amaryst
And now?

Simon

Nothing. What I have instead is this sensation in my head like I've been tuned for something.

Amaryst

Tuned?

Simon
Yeah. Again, hard to put into words but I have a very strong sensation that when I see the next instance of deja vu it will be really important to me.

Simon
Something I shouldn't ignore.

Amaryst
It just gets weirder doesn't it. Do you think you should see a Doctor?

Simon
Believe me I've been thinking about it.

Amaryst
See you at work.


9.41am

Simon
Amaryst. You busy?

Amaryst
As always. Something up?

Simon
I saw it.

Amaryst
Saw what?

Simon
The car.

Amaryst
Sorry Simon. I'll need more info.

Simon
Remember I said that if I saw the next piece of deja vu it would be important.

Amaryst
I do.

Simon
Well I saw it.

Amaryst
Where?

Simon
As I was driving in to work. On the side of the road.

Amaryst
What did you see exactly.

Simon
The same car. The same guy. Car broken down. Him under the hood.

Amaryst
Sure it was the same car?

Simon
Absolutely sure. Same colour with a deep scratch all down its driver's side.

Amaryst
What did you do?

Simon
I talked to him.

Amaryst
You did what?

Simon
I talked to him. Asked him if he needed help.

Amaryst
What did he say?

Simon
Actually he didn't say much to begin with. Looked quite stunned. As if he knew me.

Simon
Gathered his thoughts then said he was going to Parsveld. Car broke down.

Amaryst
Where's Parveld?

Simon
A farming community south of the state border apparently. I had never heard of it either.

Simon
Weird thing is he said he had seen me before.

Amaryst

Where?

Simon
In his dreams.

Amaryst
You're kidding.

Simon

As bold as brass he was. Said he had seen me in a dream asking if I could help with the car.

Amaryst
What did you say?

Simon
Only that I had seen him yesterday and thought he needed some assistance.

Simon
Then he told me it was the first time he had broken down. He hadn't been here yesterday.

Amaryst
Jesus.

Simon
Exactly. I asked him why he was going to Parsveld and as the words came out of my mouth his car just started.

Amaryst
What did he say?

Simon
He said he didn't know why but he knew he had to be there.

Amaryst
None of this is making any sense.

Simon

I agree.  He thanked me for his help them gave me his card.

Amaryst

What did you do?

Simon
Gave him mine. I have a feeling that we will meet again. I just don't know why we should.

Amaryst

This is all seriously screwed up. What are you going to do?

Simon

Nothing at the moment. I think I should just see what happens.

Amaryst
What was his name?

Simon
Garry I think. Card says he is a freelance accountant.

Amaryst
Well at least you have that in common.

Simon
What's that?

Amaryst

A talent for numbers. Which reminds me. You seen Hanson yet?

Simon
Not yet.

Amaryst
Good. Hopefully he's taking the day off.


3.44pm

Garry
Is this Simon?

Simon
Yes.

Garry

Its Garry here. The car guy.

Simon
Oh right. Did you get to Parsveld ok?

Garry
Yeah. If you don't mind I do need to ask you something.

Simon
Shoot.

Garry
Are you getting strange feelings like you're revisiting the same things day after day?

Simon
Sounds like my job but I know what you mean. The answer is yes. Why?

Garry
For the last week I've been getting really strong sensations of deja vu.

Simon
Like this morning when I turned up?

Garry
Hell yeah. Felt like my brain was being rearranged. Took a moment to gather my thoughts.

Simon

I noticed. Same thing has been happening to me. Any idea what it all means?

Garry
None. But there is one thing that's consistent in all of it.

Simon
What's that?

Garry
I know that I have to go to Parsveld. Its like the location is really important I just don't know why.

Simon
Have you ever been there before?

Garry
Not that I can remember.

Simon
But you went there right?

Garry
I did. Wandered around the town for a short while. Couldn't sense anything that made any sense to me.

Simon
What was it like?

Garry
Just a cross-roads and a few houses. Nothing much to speak of. Plenty of farmland though.

Simon
Why did you text me Garry.

Garry
I know this will sound forward but tomorrow morning I'm going back.

Simon
Why?

Garry
The compulsion to go is getting stronger and its not going away. I want you to come with me.

Simon
Why would I do that?

Garry 

I know the town but not the specific location. It seems important and I have the feeling that you might know it.

Simon
But I've never been there.

Garry
Same here. It may be nothing but somehow I think we are linked. For whatever reason I have to stand in a very specific spot otherwise these compulsions won't go away.

Simon
You know my mom told me never to get into cars with strangers.

Garry
Hey. We have each other's business cards. At the very least we could be classed as acquaintances.

Simon
What time will you be going?

Garry
As early as I can.

Simon
I won't be able to get out of work until after lunch. Can you postpone until after 1?

Garry
Yeah. If you'll come for the ride.

Simon
I'm in. These feelings are killing me too. If we can work out what's happening it'll be worth the trip.

Garry
I've got your work address. I'll pick you up at 1.

Simon
I've got a better idea. You be at my work at 1 and we'll use my car. Your's is a lemon.

Garry
Agreed. See you then.


4.53pm

Simon
Hey Amaryst.

Amaryst
Hey Simon. What's up?

Simon
I got a text from Garry earlier today.

Amaryst
Whose Garry?

Simon
You know, the car guy.

Amaryst
I knew it. A crackpot's got his claws into you and won't let go.

Simon
It's not like that. I'm going on a roadtrip tomorrow to Parsveld and just wanted to see if you could cover for me.

Amaryst
Surely you're not going somewhere with him?

Simon
It seems we both have things to work out. It looks like the only way we can do that is together.

Amaryst
It might just be me but isn't there something seriously screwy going on here?

Simon
Believe me I know, but I have a feeling it'll all be worked out tomorrow.

Amaryst
As your friend I can't say that I'm a 100 percent on board with this.

Amaryst

Can you do something for me?

Simon

Sure.

Amaryst
Let me know when you're going and what happens on the way. Don't do anything without telling me first.

Simon
You have my word.

Amaryst
Good. And for the record you're an idiot for going.

Simon
Duly noted.


Friday

1.14pm

Simon
We're in the car.

Amaryst
You using his car?

Simon
No mine. Garry's driving though.

Amaryst
Is that a good idea?

Simon
Can't drive. Won't be able to text you otherwise.

Amaryst
Point taken. Where are you now?

Simon
Going south. Taking the old highway to Geraldtown then on to Parsveld. Should take about two hours.

Amaryst
Can I once again say this is a bad idea?

Simon
Duly noted once again.

Simon
I'll get back to you.


1.33pm

Amaryst

Simon. You still there?

Simon
Sorry Amaryst. Got a new passenger.

Amaryst

What do you mean?

Simon

While we were texting Garry saw another car on the side of the road.

Amaryst
It happens.

Simon
It was in exactly the same spot as Garry's.

Amaryst
What did you do?

Simon

Pulled over.

Simon
Guy under the hood's name is Walter.

Amaryst
Let me guess. He's looking for Parsveld as well.

Simon
Actually no. He had been having the same sensations of deja vu but it had turned into a need to look for a piece of farmland he remembered from his childhood.

Simon
It's been driving him crazy. He doesn't know where to look but he says he'll recognise it when he sees it.

Amaryst
So he's with you now?

Simon
Yeah. Told him what was going on.

Amaryst

Just left his car on the side of the road?

Simon

About the size of it.

Amaryst
You guys are all crazy. Including you.

Simon
Probably.

Amaryst
Ok. Keep me in the loop. I have no idea what's going on with you guys but I'll feel better about it if you tell me.

Simon
Will do.


2.58pm

Simon
Hey Amaryst. Finally in Parsveld.

Amaryst
What's it like?

Simon
Just as Garry described. No more than a few houses and a crossroad.

Amaryst
What are you going to do?

Simon
First thing is take a drive around the area. See if Walter can recognise anything.

Amaryst
Does he seem all there?

Simon
Like the rest of us?

Amaryst
Good point. Let me know if he sees anything.


3.55pm

Simon
Found it.

Amaryst
Where and what?

Simon
It's a field, just south of the crossroads. Big as hell.

Amaryst
Any clue why you're there yet?

Simon
None. Looks like the field has a crop of half grown wheat in it.

Amaryst
What are you going to do?

Simon
Go and get some food and wait. Walter says its what we have to do.

Amaryst
Do you have torches?

Simon
No.

Amaryst

Get some of them too.

Simon
Will do.

Amaryst
One other thing.

Amaryst
I've been looking at the weather service forecast. Says thunderstorms and possibility of rain.

Simon
Umbrellas might be in our future too. Yes?

Amaryst

Got it in one.

Amaryst
I'm taking an early mark. I'll text you again when I get home.

Simon
I'll be here.


6.14pm

Amaryst
Still waiting?

Simon

Still waiting. Storm's building in the west.

Amaryst
How long will you wait?

Simon
As long as Walter says. He seems to be connected in that way.

Amaryst
Do you know what you're waiting for?

Simon
Not yet. But I can feel something coming.

Amaryst

What if nothing happens?

Simon
I guess we'll come back later. At least we know where we have to be. Just don't know the when.

Amaryst
Let me know if anything happens.

Simon

I will.


7.33pm

Simon
Amaryst.

Amaryst
Something up?

Simon
I've just realised something.

Amaryst
What?

Simon
I've been here before. I've been to Parsveld.

Amaryst
How can you be sure?

Simon
Garry was talking about some research he had done on the town at the start.

Simon
When he first started to get the compulsion to come here.

Simon
He said that there had once been a gas station at the crossroads but it had closed down about a decade ago.

Simon
Been torn down and turned into a rest stop.

Simon
I swear as soon as he said it, it was like a wave of old memories just flooded over me.

Amaryst
What do you remember?

Simon
I was 8 years old. I remember sitting in the back of a car.

Simon
I remember it was as cold as hell and it was dark.

Simon
All around me there were flashing lights and I saw my father talking with the police.

Amaryst
What else do your remember?

Simon
It was on the night that my sister went missing. They were just starting a huge search of the area.

Amaryst
You had a sister?

Simon
Yes. Her name was Evelyn. She was only six at the time.

Amaryst
You've never said anything about her.

Simon
Neither have any of the family for years. When she was taken there was a massive search but nothing was ever found.

Amaryst
That must have been hard.

Simon
It was. Almost broke the family up. In the end it was easier not to say anything at all.

Amaryst

And now you're back in Parsveld.

Simon
I know. Watching the storm and wondering why I'm here.

Amaryst
The other two got any ideas?

Simon
No. But each of them have lost family members as well.

Amaryst
Really?

Simon
Garry lost his sister as well. Just walked out of the house one day and never came back.

Simon
For Walter it was a bit more complicated.

Amaryst

How?

Simon
His brother was a fighter pilot with the National Guard. In the middle of a training mission his transmissions ceased and his plane disappeared off radar.

Simon
The plane was never found and his brother never came back.

Amaryst
And that's the connection between you?

Simon
It's the only one we can find.

Simon
Still doesn't tell us why we're here though.

Simon
I'll get back in contact as soon as something happens.


9.56pm

Amaryst
Simon. Are you still there?

Simon
Still here.

Amaryst
How far off is the storm?

Simon
Looks like its skirting the town. Mostly to the north. Powerful as hell. If we're lucky we won't need the umbrellas.

Amaryst
How long do you think you'll wait?

Simon
I guess as long as it takes...

Simon
Hold on. Something's happening.

Amaryst
What is it?

Simon

There's a light in the sky. Its shining through the cloud cover.

Simon

Jesus its big. Coming right down over us.

Amaryst
Shouldn't you get out of there?

Simon
No. This is it. This is what we've been waiting for.

Simon

God. Its pushing through the clouds. Lightning is arcing across its surface.

Amaryst
I don't like this Simon. Shouldn't you leave?

Simon
No time now.  I can feel voices in my head. Whispers telling me to keep still.

Amaryst

What are the other guys doing?

Simon
Looking upwards. Trying to take it all in. I don't think they believe what they're seeing.

Amaryst
What do you see?

Simon
Its some kind of massive spaceship. All light and sound. Its rotating over and over.

Simon
Shit. Somethings come away from its surface. Looks like a smaller vessel.

Simon
Oh Christ.

Amaryst
What's wrong?

Simon

I've seen this before.

Simon
When I was a boy. Its coming back to me as clear as daylight.

Simon
I was in this field with Evelyn when she disappeared. We had gone to play while my father filled up the car at the gas station.

Simon
He had told us to stay in the car but we were bored and got out.

Simon
It took her and left me behind.

Simon
Why would someone do that?

Amaryst
Listen Simon. I don't know what's going on but you should get the hell out of there.

Simon
I can't.

Simon
I can feel something familiar. Something I lost a long time ago.

Amaryst
Where is the vessel?

Simon
Its gliding to earth. Its come down in the field.

Simon
Its calling us all.

Amaryst
Jesus Simon. I'm calling the police.

Simon
Don't bother. I can hear sirens in the distance. They'll be here soon enough.

Amaryst

Don't go near it until the cops get there.

Simon

I have to. There's something waiting for me.

Simon
The vessel is opening up. I can see shadows.

Simon
Oh God. Its my sister.

Simon
She's older, her hair is darker, but I'm sure its her.

Amaryst
How can you be sure. What if its a trap.

Simon

I see her. She's beckoning for me to go with her.

Amaryst
Simon. Look at the others. Are they seeing the same thing?

Simon
I don't know. All I see is Evelyn. She is calling to me.

Amaryst
What does she want you to do?

Simon
She wants me to go with her. She says she needs me.

Simon

I can feel that something's wrong. She needs me to help her.

Amaryst
OMG. Don't go. What if it's not her?

Simon
It is. She needs me and I'm going to her. I can't lose her again.

Simon
You've been a great friend Amaryst. Take care.

Amaryst
Jesus. Simon. Think about this.

Amaryst
What if its not her!

Error Code 121:
Connection Terminated

Comments