Burial Ground

It could be said without argument that Allen Garrick never enjoyed his birthdays. Each raced towards him as a stark reminder of another year gone, and another year without those things he most desired. By his own estimation he was a failure, a man without fortune or prospects, but this year he has resolved to change that. For your consideration is the disturbing tale of Allen Garrick, a man with a plan who wakes up buried deep in the ground, and with only two hours to live...


1.43pm

Allen
Daniel. You able to talk?

Daniel
Hey Allen. Where you been? I've been trying to contact you all morning.

Daniel
Your birthday's coming up in a few days and me and Tanya were thinking about coming over.

Daniel
Have you got a new phone? I don't recognise the number.

Allen
Stop babbling Daniel. I need your help.

Daniel
Everything Ok?

Allen
I have no idea. I'm lying in a box and I don't know how I got here.

Daniel
Is this some kind of weird pre-birthday joke?

Allen
God I wish it was. I can't move.

Daniel
Why?

Allen
Start taking notes Daniel, I'm in a box. I think I've been buried alive.

Daniel
Jesus. What are you talking about?

Daniel

And for that matter why are you texting me?

Allen
Stop asking questions and listen. I don't know what's going on.

Allen
I've just woken up and I'm in a goddam box. Its locked shut and I can't open it.

Daniel
How do you know you've been buried?

Allen
Everything smells of damp earth. Box feels like its held tight on all sides.

Daniel
You're having me on, aren't you?

Allen
Jesus Daniel. I'm freaking out here!

Daniel
Ok. Let me think.

Daniel
Have you tried to force the lid?

Allen
Of course I have. I wouldn't be texting you on this bloody phone if I could get out.

Daniel
Ok. Calm down.

Allen
Don't tell me to calm down. Some asshole has done this too me and I'm not feeling very calm at all.

Daniel
How do you think you got in there?

Allen
I don't know but you're going to have to find me.

Daniel
I'll call the police.

Allen
No you can't.

Daniel
Why not?

Allen
Because I have a letter.

Daniel
What?

Allen
I've only found two things in the box. This phone and a letter.

Daniel
What does it say?

Allen
Its a set of directions.

Daniel
For what?

Allen
For how you have to find me.

Daniel
I think I should call the police. This is totally screwed up.

Allen
You can't. The letter says that if you do the writer will kill Tanya.

Daniel
What's my girlfriend got to do with this?

Allen
I don't know. It just says that you have to find me and you've got two hours to do it.

Allen
No police. No help from anyone else. Just you.

Daniel
Have you pissed someone off?

Allen
I have no clue. I don't know why but you've been thrown into this as well.

Daniel
Not worried about that. Some random crazy has you and they've threatened Tanya.

Daniel
Let's find you and get you out of there asap.

Allen
Got a problem to start. This phone's not fully charged.

Daniel

How much power is it holding?

Allen
Says 20 percent. About enough for two hours I guess. Letter says there's only air in this box for the same.

Daniel
Anything about the letter that might identify who wrote it?

Allen
What do you mean?

Daniel
Is it handwritten. Do you recognise the handwriting?

Allen

Looks printed. Single sheet of white paper.

Allen
There is something on the back though.

Daniel
What is it?

Allen
A phone number.

Daniel
Do you recognise it?

Allen
I do. Its the number for the diner down on Broad Street.

Daniel
You sure?

Allen
Yes. I go there all the time. One of the few numbers I do remember.

Daniel
That's a start. Anything else?

Allen
The letter itself is straightforward. The phone can only text your number. Nothing else.

Allen
For whatever reason you have to be the one to find me.

Allen
If anybody else gets involved then Tanya dies.

Allen
Do you know where Tanya is?

Daniel
At work last time we spoke. She called me earlier this morning.

Allen
God its getting hot in here.

Daniel
We should start at the diner.

Allen
I agree. Its the last thing I remember before waking up here.

Daniel
I don't get it. Why would someone want to leave clues?

Allen
Whoever it is is messing with both of us.

Allen
I think we're both going to have to play his game. At least for the moment.

Daniel
I'm only four blocks from Broad Street. I'll go straight down.

Allen
See if any of the staff remember me. It was this morning. I sat near the bay windows.

Allen
Tell them I was wearing a grey striped shirt.

Daniel
Will do.


2.16pm

Daniel
Got to the diner.

Allen

And?

Daniel
Janet remembered you coming in. Said you had a coffee and a roll.

Daniel
Also said you were waiting for someone.

Allen
Did she say if I met them?

Daniel

Yeah. After about twenty minutes some tall guy in a suit sat down at your table.

Allen

What happened?

Daniel
Janet wasn't completely sure. Said you talked for a time then left after a few minutes.

Daniel

She remembered you went with him. Walked south towards the carpark on Brixton street.

Allen
And that's all?

Daniel
Not all. Before you left you wrote a name on a menu and left it on the table.

Daniel

The waiter who cleaned your table gave it to Janet. Luckily she still had it in her pocket.

Allen
What did it say?

Daniel
Just a name, Henry Langton.

Allen
That's weird. I'm sure I don't know anyone by that name.

Daniel
Could it mean anything else?

Allen
I do know a Henry. He's a salesman from work. Bit of a dick but not up for something like this.

Allen
One thing I do know is his name's not Langton.

Daniel
Ok. The name is written down strange though.

Allen
How do you mean?

Daniel
Henry is on the top line. Langton written below it. It could be a part of an address.

Allen
Ok. Give me a moment to think.

Daniel
Anything?

Allen
Only one thing. The boss was talking a few days ago about an abandoned estate. Called it Langton Hills.

Allen
It's an old manor over in Greentree. I think he was going to develop the site.

Daniel

Could you have gone over there to have a look?

Allen

I don't see why. I'm just a clerk. I can't see any reason why Henry would take me.

Daniel
How far is it from here?

Allen
About twenty minutes down the highway. South towards Burkitsville.

Daniel
Give me twenty.

Allen
Ok. Just hurry.


2.47pm

Allen
Daniel. You there yet?

Daniel
Just pulling in. Christ its a dump.

Allen
Its supposed to be in demolition. What do you see?

Daniel
The manor is huge. Massive gothic pile. There's even gargoyles on the walls.

Daniel
Chain link fences around the perimeter. I can't see much else.

Allen
Hurry Daniel. I've got 7 percent on the phone. Air's getting pretty thick here.

Allen
Any tire tracks in the driveway?

Daniel
There are. Fresh set. Straight through the gates and up to the main entrance.

Allen
Follow them. See if you can see any footprints.

Daniel

Will do.


2.59pm

Allen

Jesus Daniel. What are you doing?

Allen
I can hardly breathe here.

Daniel
Sorry. I've looked around the property and could only find one set of footprints.

Allen
Where do they go?

Daniel
From where the tire tracks end right up to the front door. They're clear in the mud.

Allen
Its been raining?

Daniel

Steadily. Stopped for the moment though.

Allen
Do you see anything at the entrance?

Daniel
Nothing that I can see might be another clue.

Daniel

Wait up. There is something.

Allen

What is it?

Daniel
The door here is ancient. Looks like solid Oak. There's a word scratched into its threshold.

Allen
What is it?

Daniel
Mercy.

Allen
What?

Daniel
Mercy. And it looks like its only just been marked into the wood.

Allen
But what could it mean?

Allen
The air's getting thin. I can hardly breathe here Daniel.

Daniel
This must mean something. Give me a moment.

Daniel

Got it.

Allen
What?

Daniel

Mercy. The Sisters of Mercy had a convent only a few miles down the road. Abandoned now but a big deal in its time.

Allen
For God's sake get there quick. I'm almost done.

Daniel

I'll be just a few minutes.


3.18pm

Daniel
Allen. You still there?

Allen

Phone's got only a few percent left on it.

Allen
What have you found?

Daniel

Nothing. Just a huge dilapidated building within a complex of other outbuildings. It'll take days to search it all.

Allen
The crazy who buried me wouldn't have left me where anyone could find me.

Allen

Are there any gardens?

Daniel

Everywhere. All overgrown now. Looks like the Sisters were heavy into their gardening.

Allen
Can you see anything at all that looks freshly dug?

Daniel

Nothing. Everything's a jumble of thickets and fruit trees.

Allen
Hold up. I do remember something now.

Daniel
What?

Allen
Lemons. I remember smelling lemons.

Daniel
There is a small orchard at the side of the main building.

Allen
Go there.

Daniel
Its not big but I'll have a look.


3.27pm

Daniel
Had a look. Can't find anything.

Allen
God its getting warm in here. Can't you see anything?

Daniel
Maybe we've got the wrong place?

Allen
There's got to be something.

Allen
Those old convents used to bury their own, didn't they?

Daniel

I think so.

Allen
Look around and see if you can see a cemetery or something.

Daniel
I can see the edge of a graveyard at the boundary of the property.

Allen
Go there. And for God's sake hurry.

Daniel

Got it.


3.36pm


Daniel
Jesus.

Allen
What is it?

Daniel
There has to be forty graves here. All set within a high stone wall.

Allen

Do you see any new graves.

Daniel
There shouldn't be any but somebody's definitely been here.

Allen
What do you see?

Daniel
Each of the graves has a number written on it in chalk. Looks like some kind of psycho has gone crazy here. Two of the graves have been freshly turned over and both have shovels sticking out of them.

Allen
What does it mean?

Daniel
I don't know. I'd guess that you must be in one of the two graves.

Daniel
But it'll take too long to dig out both of them.

Allen
What are the numbers on the fresh graves.

Daniel

Hold on.

Daniel
18 and 29.

Allen
Try 29. Its my birthday.

Daniel
But if its the wrong one you'll die.

Allen
Its my choice Daniel. Do it!

Daniel
I'm starting now.


3.45pm

Allen

I can hear something.

Daniel

Don't move. I'll get back to you as soon as I hit the box.


3.55pm

Daniel
I've hit something. Sounds hollow.

Allen
That's me. Christ that was close. Get this thing open. I can't breathe.

Daniel
Don't move. I'll try and clear away the soil.

Allen
How deep am I?

Daniel
Only about three feet. More than enough to keep you inside.

Allen
For Gods sake get me out.

Daniel
On it.

Daniel
Uncovered the lid. Cover your eyes.

Allen
Ready.

Daniel
What the Hell? The box is empty.

Allen
I know.


4.26pm

Daniel
Jesus Christ. What's going on?

Allen
I could say I'm sorry but I'm not.

Daniel
God my head hurts. Why the hell did you hit me? What have you done?

Allen
Only what was necessary.

Daniel
What do you mean?

Allen
You're in the box and you have two hours to live.

Daniel
This is ridiculous. Why have you done this?

Allen
Partly for the fun, but mostly for the money.

Daniel
What?

Allen
Come on Daniel. Haven't you noticed of late how much time Tanya has been spending at work?

Daniel
Yes.

Allen
News flash Daniel, she wasn't at work. She was with me.

Daniel
You bastard. What have you done?

Allen
Only what was necessary to get what I wanted.

Daniel
So this whole charade has been a ploy to get me here?

Allen
Yes. I needed you in the box but I couldn't be seen to be with you.

Allen
Actually worked out rather well.

Daniel

Where is Tanya?

Allen
Don't worry about Tanya for all will soon be revealed. Want to know what I've done?

Daniel
Get me out of this box.

Allen
No can do.

Allen
Want to know what we've been doing?

Daniel
I have a feeling you're going to tell me regardless.

Allen
Me and Tanya have been busy of late.

Daniel

Again. What have you been doing?

Allen
All the usual things. Transferring your money to bank accounts in South America.

Allen
Making it look like you're preparing to leave the country permanently.

Allen
I have to say I had no idea you had so much available cash. Rather impressed actually.

Daniel
You prick. Let me out of this box.

Allen
Cool your jets Daniel. You are using up way too much oxygen in there.

Daniel
Was Tanya in on this?

Allen
From the start. You know you shouldn't talk too much about how rich you are. Impresses some people but others just get greedy.

Allen 

She came to me with the plan. Even put together the clues that led you here.

Daniel

And you followed along like an obedient dog. You're such a loser.

Allen
Not so much. You could say that once all your money was in the bank our objectives diverged considerably.

Daniel
What do you mean?

Allen 

I gave her the same option that she was so willing to give you.

Daniel
What have you done?

Allen
What is Tanya's birthday Daniel?

Daniel
The 18th. Oh hell. You've buried her too?

Allen
Right next to you. Needless to say she was not happy, but then we all get what we deserve in the end, don't we?

Daniel
Get me out of here.

Allen
I don't think so.

Allen
Nobody's coming for you Daniel. Nobody will ever know you're here.

Allen
You and Tanya are going to end up as just two of those people who go missing and are never seen again.

Allen
That phone you have will give you two hours of light. Roughly the same as the air in the box.

Allen
Don't try and phone anybody else because it won't work.

Daniel
You bastard. When I get out of this thing I'm going to kill you.

Allen
No you won't. Anyway I'm off.

Daniel

Where are you going?

Allen
For a trip I think. South America seems like a good idea.

Daniel

There's no way you'll get away with this. The cops'll trace the phones messages and lead them right to me.

Daniel
Then they'll be on your ass for murder.

Allen

But that's not going to happen Daniel. Tanya put an encryption app on your messaging.

Allen
All the phone company will have will be a mess even the CIA won't be able to unravel.

Allen
She actually thought of almost everything. Too bad she didn't realise I couldn't be trusted.

Allen
No matter how you look at it you're screwed.

Daniel
Jesus Christ. You can't just leave me here. I thought we were friends.

Allen
Turnng the phone off now.

Allen
See you in Hell.

THE END

Comments